Viking, the world leader in expedition cruise services, welcomed its second ship to the fleet. The N17, a 2017 expedition cruise ship built by Fincantieri, left Europe on November 6th, 2017 and is currently on its first expedition around the globe. The N17 is the largest expedition ship built by Fincantieri, which is also building a fleet of expedition cruise ships for Viking. The N17 offers a range of accommodations for a wide range of travelers, and is tailored to the expedition cruise industry, including the use of green technology such as solar-powered electricity and wind turbines.
The Viking Lofoten Islands Expedition is over, and the team is now back in the UK. They had a busy few weeks, during which they completed a rafting expedition in the Lofoten Islands, and a long series of scientific studies.
Viking Polaris, the company’s second exploration ship, has been floated out at the shipyard.
A float out is a significant milestone in the building of a new vessel since it is the first time it meets water. It also symbolizes a ship nearing the end of its construction.
(Viking provided the image.)
Viking Octantis, Polaris’ sister ship, was floated out in December and will make her debut early next year with cruises to Antarctica and the Great Lakes.
The Viking Polaris is scheduled to make its debut in summer 2024, including excursions to the Arctic and Antarctica.
“With new trips, we are one step closer to launching ‘the thinking person’s adventure,’ allowing our guests to explore the ends of the globe and closer to home—in comfort,” said Torstein Hagen, Chairman of Viking.
“We are thankful for our long-standing relationship with Fincantieri, which has assisted us in the construction of the world’s most magnificent ocean ships and is now assisting us in the perfecting of adventure cruising. Next year, we want to welcome visitors on board the Viking Polaris and Viking Octantis.”
On July 27, Viking Polaris had her float out ceremony, after which she was transported to a nearby outfitting dock for additional construction and interior build-out. The ship will be shipped to Fincantieri’s VARD shipyard in Norway after final outfitting.
(Viking provided the image.)
Concerning the Ships
The new Viking Octantis and Polaris Arctic Class 6 ships will each carry 378 people in 189 staterooms and are small enough to traverse isolated polar areas and the St. Lawrence River.
The ships will include public areas that are known to Viking ocean cruise guests but have been redesigned for excursions — as well as new areas built especially for expeditions.
The following are some of the ships’ highlights:
- The Hangar is an enclosed in-ship marina that allows small excursion boats to be launched via the ship’s shell doors.
- The Laboratory – In addition to entertaining visitors, the ships will function as research boats, with an onboard crew of Viking Resident Scientists working on a range of projects. Guests may learn from and engage in experts’ research at the lab, which is housed in a glass-enclosed mezzanine above The Hangar.
- The Aula & Finse Terrace — The Aula is a panoramic auditorium at the stern, inspired by the University of Oslo’s famed ceremonial hall. Lectures and entertainment will be offered there. Through the sliding glass walls of The Aula is the Finse Terrace, an outdoor lounge area with couches and warming lava rock “fire pits.”
On deck 2, a rendering of The Aula auditorium and the Finse Terrace behind it (Photo courtesy of Viking)
- All cabins on both ships will include a Nordic Balcony – a solarium that transforms into an al fresco observation platform — a first for polar adventure cruise ships.
- Aquavit Terrace & Pools — Located at the stern and featuring a retractable glass dome, this indoor-outdoor heated area will feature three pools, including an “inside-out” swimming experience.
- The Nordic Spa is a thermal suite featuring a sauna, snow grotto, hydrotherapy pool, hot tub, and chaise lounges on board the ships.
READ NEXT: Viking River Cruises Announces Additional Mississippi River Cruises
This article broadly covered the following related topics:
- viking celebrates float out of second expedition ship 2024
- viking celebrates float out of second expedition ship 2019
- viking celebrates float out of second expedition ship in hawaii
- viking celebrates float out of second expedition ship in america
- viking celebrates float out of second expedition ship in texas